Better Living uses affiliate links. If you make a purchase through them, we may receive a small commission (for which we are deeply grateful) at no cost to you.
* This post is sponsored by Rio Luna Organic Peppers. The information and content presented here is all ours.
If you’re looking for a unique and absolutely delicious appetizer for your next tailgating or Big Game Day party, these Chili Cheese Dog Egg Rolls are just what you need. With these, you get the best of both worlds – the bite of a crispy crunchy egg roll and the meaty, cheesy, spicy and satisfying bite of a chili dog. They’re so unbelievably good. We take egg roll wrappers, place a hot dog in the center and roll it up with prepared chili, chopped red onion, scallion and for a little heat and chile goodness, some Rio Luna Organic Nacho Sliced Jalapeño Peppers and Diced Chiles. We opted to fry these up in a pan, but they can also be baked or air fried.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s what you’ll need to make these Chili Cheese Dog Egg Rolls. They can also be made vegetarian or vegan-friendly with veggie dogs, a veggie-based chili and/or a vegan cheese substitute. Vegan egg roll wrappers made without eggs are also readily available.
Egg Roll Wrappers – You should be able to easily find these in any major grocery store located in the refrigerated part of the produce section. Asian food markets will carry these as well. Leave these in the bag or tightly sealed in a container until ready to use as they can dry out making them impossible to roll.
Cooked Hot Dogs/Veggie Dogs – Shorter hot dogs will roll up best versus ones that may be labeled something like “bun length” or “jumbo”. If you do happen to get the longer ones, you may have to slice them in half or you may have trouble rolling the ends of the egg roll tightly. The hot dog shouldn’t take up more than ⅔ to ¾ of the egg roll wrapper when placed diagonally. Be sure to pan fry, air fry or bake them up for a few minutes before getting ready to roll.
Warmed Prepared Chili (meaty or vegetarian) – Leftover chili works great for these or if you’re making a big batch of chili for your Superbowl party, even better. If you don’t have any prepared and weren’t planning on serving any, then just get your favorite canned variety at the supermarket. Saucier chilis work better for these egg rolls rather than a chunkier chili. If your chili is a chunky batch just mash it slightly with the back of a fork before spooning onto the hot dogs.
Shredded Cheese – To make prep a cinch use the pre-shredded bags of cheese in the grocery store. Cheddar, Monterrey Jack, or Colby Jack are great options.
Diced Onion & Scallion – I love my chili dogs with a little onion. It adds a fresh little bite of crunch and fresh sharpness to these eggrolls. Scallions add a fresh oniony flavor and a nice color too. Use one or both. I used red onions but, white will work too.
Rio Luna Organic Nacho Sliced Jalapeños – Certified organic, GMO-free, fat-free and kosher these pickled jalapeños are spicy, but not too spicy. Just the right balance of spicy pepper and vinegary tang, these incredibly flavorful Rio Luna Organic jalapeños add a nice kick of heat to these egg rolls. I left them sliced inside the egg rolls but you could dice them up as well to get that classic jalapeño flavor in every bite!
Rio Luna Organic Diced Chilies – You could easily just stick with the pickled jalapeños. Since I’m a bit of a chile head, I opted to throw some of these into my egg rolls too. They come in hot or mild varieties. Just be sure to check the heat meter on the label before you buy. These guys are also certified organic & GMO-free!
How To Stuff & Roll The Egg Rolls
Once you get the hang of rolling these Chili Cheese Dog Egg Rolls you won’t want to stop.
Step 1: PREPPING – Lay an egg roll wrapper in the middle of a plate or on a cutting board. Place a hot dog on the wrapper diagonally so the ends of the hot dog point to the corners of the wrapper.
Step 2: FILLING – Top the hot dog with 1-2 tablespoons of chili. Follow with a sprinkle of cheese, the Rio Luna Organic Nacho Sliced Jalapeños and Diced Chilis, scallion and/or onion. The key to these is not to overfill! Otherwise, they become too hard to wrap.
Step 3: FOLDING – Fold the bottom corner of the egg roll over the hot dog. Follow by wrapping the sides of the egg roll by the ends of the hot dog inward. Then tucking the filling with your hand and holding the sides in, roll the egg roll over so it is fully wrapped. Seal the edge of the egg roll with a little water and set aside. You’re now ready to roll the rest!
How To Cook The Egg Rolls
You can pan-fry, air-fry or oven bake these eggrolls. If air frying or oven baking, brush the outside of the wrapped egg rolls with a little oil before cooking. This will help give the egg rolls that nice crispy exterior.
Pan Frying Method: Heat a frying pan over high heat with about 2 inches of cooking oil to about 350 º F (175º C). You’ll know the oil is hot enough when you stick the end of a wooden spoon in there and it bubbles. Place 2 to 4 egg rolls in oil, making sure not to crowd the pan. Cook about 2 minutes per side or until they’re lightly browned. Place on a baking sheet lined with a paper bag or paper towels to absorb any excess oil before serving.
Air Frying Method: Heat up your air fryer to 390 and cook the egg rolls (brushed with oil) for about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. Make sure egg rolls are not touching in your fryer basket and cook in batches. They’re finished cooking once the skins are lightly browned and crispy.
Baking Method: Place the egg rolls, on a baking sheet about one inch apart and lightly brush with oil. Bake in an oven preheated to 400ºF (200º C) for 20 minutes flipping halfway through. Lightly brown and crispy is what we’re after.
How To Serve The Chili Cheese Dog Egg Rolls
If you’re making these for your next tailgate or Superbowl party you’re probably going to have dips and condiments available to dunk these tasty little bundles. I honestly don’t think they need anything, but that’s just me. Mustard, ketchup, ranch dressing, salsa, and guacamole would all be delicious.
GET THE RECIPE!
Chili Cheese Dog Egg Rolls (Fry, Air-Fry or Bake)
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 1 (8-count) package cooked hot dogs, (shorter ones work best)
- 1 cup prepared chili
- 1 cup shredded cheese, try Monterey Jack, Colby Jack or cheddar
- 24 Rio Luna Organic Nacho Sliced Jalapeños
- 1 4 ounce can Rio Luna Organic Diced Green Chiles, medium or mild
- 1/4 cup onion, red or white, diced
- oil for frying (vegetable, grapeseed or avocado)
Filling The Egg Rolls
- Lay an egg roll wrapper down with the point facing you so it looks like a diamond shape. Place a hot dog across the egg roll wrapper diagonally so the ends are in line with 2 of the corners of the wrapper. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of chili along the length of the hot dog followed by, a little shredded cheese, 1/2 tsp of diced chilis, 3 jalapenos, and a little onion and/or scallion. Don't overfill or you won't be able to close the egg rolls!
Wrapping The Egg Rolls
- Start by folding over the egg roll wrapper corner facing you and snugly tucking it around the hot dog and toppings. Next fold over both sides at the ends of the hot dog. Finish up by folding over the egg roll while gently squeezing. Seal the egg roll edges with a little water and continue with the rest.
Cooking The Chili Cheese Dog Egg Rolls
- Pan Frying Method: Heat a frying pan over high heat with about 2 inches of cooking oil to about 350º F(175º C). You’ll know the oil is hot enough when you stick the end of a wooden spoon in there and it bubbles. Place egg rolls in hot oil, making sure not to crowd the pan. Cook about 2 minutes per side or until they’re lightly browned. Place on a baking sheet lined with a paper bag or paper towels to absorb any excess oil before serving.
- Air Frying: Heat up your air fryer to 390 and cook the egg rolls (brushed with oil) for about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. Make sure egg rolls are not touching in your fryer basket and cook in batches. They’re finished cooking once the skins are lightly browned and crispy.
- Baking: Place the egg rolls, on a baking sheet about one inch apart and lightly brush with oil. Bake in an oven preheated to 400ºF (200º C) for 20 minutes flipping halfway through. Lightly brown and crispy is what we’re after.
Serving The Chili Cheese Dog Egg Rolls
- Serve the egg rolls either whole or sliced in half. Condiments can include ketchup, mustard, ranch dressing, salsa or guacamole
Spice Up Your Next Game Day Recipes With Rio Luna Organic Peppers and Chiles!
Rio Luna Organic peppers are a healthy and flavorful way to spice up all your favorite dishes from chili to soups and stews, nachos to eggs and dips! They’re:
- Certified Organic
- Fat-free, cholesterol-free low-calorie
Rio Luna Organic Cares About The Environment!
An eco-conscious company Rio Luna Organic uses sustainable practices like recycling, drip irrigation and crop rotation to grow its chiles in the most responsible way possible. More reasons to love Rio Luna Organic!
Find Rio Luna Organic at Whole Foods nationwide.