Better Living uses affiliate links. If you make a purchase through them, we may receive a small commission (for which we are deeply grateful) at no cost to you.
If you’re looking for a soup that is hearty, comforting and healthy to warm up your bones then this recipe for Mediterranean Style Red Lentil Soup should be your next go-to. Fiber-rich red lentils are simmered with red bell pepper, onions, garlic, diced carrot, and spices for a veggie-based soup that is full of flavor.
With a little inspiration from Turkish and Egyptian cuisine, this easy to make Red Lentil Soup is perfect for a light yet satisfying lunch. For a vegan-friendly version use vegetable stock instead of chicken and omit the Greek yogurt. Serve along with toasted pita bread and a Greek salad for quick, yet satisfying #MeatlessMonday dinner.
Mondays just got a whole lot better!
GET THE RECIPE!
Mediterranean Style Red Lentil Soup
- Soup Pot
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Spoons
- Large Spoon
- Immersion Blender, Food Processor or Blender
- 3 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 1/2 cup potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups veggie or chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste to taste
- Greek yogurt
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lemon wedges
- Begin by adding the olive oil to a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and carrots and sauté until onions become just translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Next, add the red lentils, potato, stock, garlic, paprika, cumin, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stir and reduce to a simmer.
- Cover the pot loosely and cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender and falling apart.
- For a smooth soup: use an immersion blender, food processor or regular blender and process the soup to a silky smooth consistency. For a chunkier soup: Blend half the soup while reserving the other half in the pot. Stir the creamy blended portion fin with the reserved unblended soup. Stir together,
- Once you have the soup blended to your liking add a dash of cayenne. Stir and taste. If you want more heat, add another pinch of cayenne. Careful not to overdo it. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust.
- Serve the soup hot and garnished with a dollop of Greek yogurt, freshly chopped cilantro and a lemon wedge for squeezing on the side. Bon Appetit!
Recipe: Mediterranean Style Red Lentil Soup
3 Tablespoons olive oil or butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 Red bell pepper, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 cup white potato, peeled and diced
1 cup red lentils, rinsed and picked through
4 cups chicken or veggie stock
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
1 dash cayenne pepper
1_Begin by melting olive oil in a medium pot and sautéing the onion, bell pepper, carrots and potatoes over medium heat until onions become just translucent.
2_Next add the red lentils, stock, garlic, paprika, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste.
3_Bring to a boil, stir and reduce to a simmer.
4_Cover loosely and cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
5_For a smooth soup use an immersion blender or to blend to desired consistency. If using a food processor or blender reserve a cup of unblended soup in the pot to stir in with the blended portion for a chunkier texture. For a completely smooth soup blend it all.
6_Return soup to the pot and add a dash of cayenne. Stir and taste. If you want a little more heat add another pinch for a spicier soup.
7_Serve soup heated through garnished with a dollop of Greek yogurt, freshly chopped cilantro and a lemon wedge for squeezing on the side.