Better Living uses affiliate links. If you make a purchase through them, we may receive a small commission (for which we are deeply grateful) at no cost to you.
For those times when you really need a chocolate fix, but you’re not loving the idea of making a whole cake, try this recipe for Dark Chocolate Chili Mug Cakes! The dark chocolate blends blissfully with a little kick of cayenne for a spicy sweet treat. You’ll find yourself making these time and time again. If you’re sensitive to foods with heat, just add a pinch of cayenne or substitute cinnamon instead for an equally delicious result. Once everything is mixed, these mug cakes bake up in just over a minute in the microwave.
These cakes are delicious on their own, but to serve you may like a little powdered sugar, a dollop of fresh whipped cream or even a scoop of ice-cream. A drizzle of caramel sauce would be divine!
Get The Recipe!
Dark Chocolate Chili Mug Cakes
- 1 egg
- 3 tablepoons milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons sugar (try half white, half brown)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips (optional)
- Grease two mugs. Then, in a small bowl whisk egg, milk, butter, vanilla and sugar well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients - flour, espresso powder, baking powder, cayenne and chocolate chips. Stir well with a fork.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix well and then divide the batter between the two mugs. Microwave one at a time on high for 1 minute and 15 seconds or until the top of the cake looks dry. Remove from the microwave and let cool 1-2 minutes. (Note: The cakes may fall after cooking. This is normal.
- Serving Suggestion: Before serving dust with powdered sugar, whipped cream or even ice-cream. Enjoy!