Better Living uses affiliate links. If you make a purchase through them, we may receive a small commission (for which we are deeply grateful) at no cost to you.
It’s time to start that annual spring cleaning ritual to clear the winter dust and clutter and make your home sparkle!
Unfortunately 99.9% of the standard cleaning products out there are not only expensive, but they’re full of toxic ingredients that can pollute the air quality inside of our homes.
A peer-reviewed study by the Environmental Working Group published in the journal Chemosphere, analyzed 30 common household cleaning products and shockingly discovered they contained hundreds of hazardous volatile organic compounds, known as VOCs.
Of the 503 total VOCs identified in tested products that included air-fresheners and multi-purpose cleaner, 193 were linked to harmful health effects including respiratory system damage, reproductive damage and increased risk of cancer.
These chemicals not only contaminate indoor air in our homes an estimated two to ten times more than outdoor air, but they get into our lungs and bloodstream and can negatively affect our health.
What’s worse, some VOCs in a product used only once, can negatively affect the air in our home for months.
The truth is you don’t need “cleaning products” with VOC’s to get your home clean.
Natual ingredients like white vinegar and baking soda and a few essential oils and you can clean, deodorize and sanitze your home in an effective and healthy way.
You’ll not only save money, but you can experiment with essential oils to make unique signature scents for your home that you love.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are the fragrant, highly concentrated natural compounds that are found in plants and flowers. Essential oils are what give things like lemons, oranges, rosemary and roses their distinctive smell. These oils have been treasured for thousands of years for their healing abilities. Think antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal with pleasing scents that uplift (like lemon and peppermint) or relax and soothe (like lavender). With essential oils you can ditch the man-made toxic stuff and clean your home the healthy natural way.
Essential oils are very powerful and a few drops go a long way. By using essential oils not only will you be saving money, you’ll feel better about your cleaning. It’s a total win win.
If you’ve been wanting to try using essential oils, these super easy cleaning recipes are the perfect place to start. Experiment, have fun and stay healthy!
The best place to buy essential oils?
There are lots of essential oils on the market. But with so many companies to choose from it can get confusing.
Many companies sell low quality and diluted essential oils. So who should you buy from? We love and recommend doTerra essential oils . doTerra essential oils are tested 7 different ways through 3rd party labs to ensure their oils are free of pesticides, herbicides and chemicals.
Linen + Drawer Spray Recipes
1) Linen Spray
Fill a spray bottle with vodka (Not the good stuff. You can save that for after you’ve cleaned.)
Add a few drops of lavender essential oil. Shake bottle and spray your mattress and pillows when changing your sheets.
Vodka’s high alcohol content makes it a powerful disinfectant and deodorizer. Lavender reduces stress and improves sleep quality.
2) Drawer Refresher
Reuse dryer sheets by adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil and putting them into drawers & closets to refresh clothing or towels.
DIY Essential Oil Surface Cleaners Recipes
3) Fresh All Purpose Cleaner Recipe
Super Fresh All Purpose Cleaner Ingredients
Try these combinations:
15 drops each of Lavender and Lemon
10 drops each of Eucalyptus, Peppermint, and Wild Orange
15 drops each of Grapefruit and On Guard from dōTERRA (we love this one for super germ killing power)
Place all the ingredients in the spray bottle.
Shake to combine and use for surface such as counter tops and floor spills.
4) Window & Glass Cleaner Recipe
Window Glass Cleaner Ingredients
- 16 oz. glass spray bottle
- 1/8 cup white vinegar
- 1/8 cup rubbing alcohol
- 15 lemon or orange essential oil drops
- 1 3/4 cups water
Mix all ingredients together in a spray bottle and shake to combine.
Spray on windows or glass and wipe away with some old newspaper for a glasy streak free shine.
DIY Essential Oil Kitchen Cleaning Recipes
5) Garbage Can Odor Buster
Put some old newspaper or paper towels in the bottom of your garbage can. Add a few drops of essential oil to the paper. The paper will absorb spills and the essential oil will disinfect and deodorize.
6) For Dishes
Add a drop of lemon oil to your dishwasher detergent or liquid for added cleansing benefits and a fresh scent.
DIY Essential Oil Laundry Rinse
7) For Washing Clothes
When cleaning sheets add a few drops of lavender to the rinse cycle. Lavender essential oil is known for its relaxing properties and is known to promote a restful night’s sleep. Plus it smells amazing.
DIY Essential Oil Bathroom Cleaning Recipes
8) A Super Sink & Tub Scrub
Mix 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup vinegar and 5 drops of Bergamot or Lime essential oil in a bowl. Apply to bathroom surface and let sit 5 minutes and then scrub away. Perfect to disinfect and clean your bathroom sink and bathtub .
9) A Bathroom Freshener
10) Easy Toilet Paper Roll Room Refresher
Add 2-3 drops of your favorite essential oil to the inside cardboard roll of the toilet paper. Every time someone uses the roll the scent will pleasantly diffuse through the room.
11) Shower Curtain Mold Buster
In a 16 oz spray bottle add, 5 drops each of eucalyptus essential oils and tea tree oil with warm water. Keep in the shower and spray on the curtain for a natural, nontoxic mold destroyer.
Natural DIY Essential Oil Air Fresheners
12) Air Freshener/Room Spray
Put 1 tablespoon of baking soda into an 8 oz spray bottle with 1 cup of water and 10 drops of essential oils (citrus oils work wonderful for this!).
Screw on the nozzle and shake until the baking soda is dissolved. Spritz around your home anytime it needs a pick-me up. This will immediately freshen any room and deodorize.
13) Air Freshener In a Jar
Fill a canning jar halfway with baking soda and 15-25 drops of essential oil. Mix well.
Cut a piece of decorative fabric about 2 inches larger than the jar opening. Screw the metal lid rim onto the jar over the fabric. Every few days give it a little shake to release more scent. Add more oil as needed.
DIY Natural Floor Cleaning Recipes
15) Vacuum Freshener – Place 5 to 10 drops of your favorite essential oil onto a fresh vacuum bag and then insert the as usual. For bagless vacuums place 5 to 10 drops of essential oils on a tissue or cotton ball and place directly into the vacuum’s empty canister. Vacuum normally and replace as desired.
16) Carpet Freshener – To make a carpet freshener, add 20 drops of lemon essential oil to a cup of baking soda. Stir well and let sit for an hour so the oils can be absorbed. Sprinkle over your carpet. Let sit for 20 minutes and then vacuum the powder for a super fresh carpet.
DIY Essential Oil Furniture Cleaning Recipe
17) Lemony Furniture Dusting Oil – Combining 10 drops of pure lemon essential oil, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and a 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil. Sprinkle the mixture onto a rag or old T-shirt and use to dust wood furniture.
- Experiment with different essential oils to find what scents you like best.
- Dark colored Glass Spray Bottles are recommended for storing your essential oils and cleaning recipes which can react with plastics and make them ineffective. If you don’t have any or aren’t available near you they may be purchased online here.
- If using plastic bottles make sure they are PET plastic to preserve the essential oils from breaking down. Glass is best though.
- Always store essential oils and products made with them in a dark area away from sunlight.
- As with any cleaning products keep out of reach of children or pets.