Better Living uses affiliate links. If you make a purchase through them, we may receive a small commission (for which we are deeply grateful) at no cost to you.
This recipe for 7 Layer Burritos is absolutely delish! And if you haven’t guessed already, they’re filled with 7 different ingredients. Chunks of zesty chicken, cilantro-lime rice, seasoned black beans, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, and of course, plenty of cheese – stuffed into large soft tortillas and then grilled to seal and lightly toasted. Feel like they’re missing an ingredient you love? Go ahead and throw that in there, too. Turn them into 8, 9, or 10 layers. Sauteed peppers and onions, shredded lettuce, black olives, and pickled jalapenos would also make great additions.
Prepping the ingredients for these 7 Layer Burritos is easy. To keep things simple, we use the white meat of a rotisserie chicken and season the meat with some spices, like chili powder and cumin, to give it some Tex-Mex pizazz. I like little chunks of chicken in my burrito, but you could shred the meat instead and follow the recipe as is. Save the rotisserie chicken legs for a snack and freeze the remaining dark meat to stir into soups, or bake into enchiladas later.
Just before stuffing your burritos, it’s best to soften the tortillas in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds with a dampened paper towel layered between each one. This moistens them, making them easier to roll, and also prevents them from tearing.
I included in the recipe directions a way to kick your average can of black beans up a notch with a little jarred salsa and spices. If you don’t have the time, you can heat them up as is, but I highly recommend making them as written. To save time, you can use leftover rice and just add some lime juice and cilantro. Leave the cilantro out if you don’t like it, of course.
And what about the cheese? Use what you like. I recommend Monterrey Jack, Pepper Jack, Cheddar, or your favorite Mexican style blend. Using a fresh homemade pico de gallo really makes a difference, but you can also opt for a store-bought version for the sake of time, or your favorite salsa.
Not only can you customize these burritos as you like, but leftovers can also be used to make even more burritos or burrito bowls. Leftover burritos freeze great and make a delicious and quick dinner when you don’t have time to cook. Ready?
Get The Recipe!
Best Ever 7 Layer Chicken Burritos
- 1 rotisserie chicken, breast meat removed and chopped or shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup salsa (not chunky)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt, to taste
Seasoned Black Beans
- 1 15 ounce can black beans
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 1/3 cup jarred salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 cups hot cooked rice ( try basmati or jasmine!)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablepoons cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste
Burrito Fillings And Other Ingredients
- burrito sized tortillas
- Monterey Jack, Cheddar or Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- pico de gallo or salsa
- sour cream
- hot sauce
Making The Chicken
- Place a pan over medium-heat with the olive oil. Add chicken, salsa and spices. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until the chicken is evenly coated and hot. Add salt to taste. If the chicken looks too dry add a little more salsa or a splash of water to moisten. Set aside.
Making The Beans
- Set a small pot over medium heat. Saute onion in a little olive oil for 3-4 minutes or until translucent. Add the black beans, salsa, chili powder, cumin and garlic. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add salt to taste. Set aside
Making The Rice
- Toss hot cooked rice with melted butter, lime juice and cilantro. Add salt to taste. Set aside.
Assembling The Burritos
- Heat and grease a large flat heavy bottomed pan, skillet or griddle over medium heat. Meanwhile, place the tortillas on a plate layered with a damp paper towel on top between every two. Microwave for 20 seconds or until the tortillas are hot and softened.
- To make the burritos, begin by spreading the middle of the tortilla with shredded cheese about 1 1/2 inches in from the edge. Then layer the rest of the ingredients (chicken, rice, cheese, beans, guacamole, pico de gallo and sour cream) horizontally on top of the cheese staying within the bottom 2/3 of the cheese area as a guide.
- To wrap up the burrito pinch in the sides first and then fold the bottom edge of each tortilla over the fillings, keeping the ingredients tucked in as you go. Place the burrito on the heated pan, seam side down and grill for 3-4 minutes or until lightly toasted and heated through. Flip over, repeat and then plate.
- To serve cut the burrito in half and then serve with your favorite hot sauces, salsas, guacamole and chips.