Quiche is one of those super satisfying and comforting dishes that works for any meal. You can have a slice for breakfast, serve with greens for brunch, lunch or dinner and even slice it into small portions as a party appetizer. But while quiches are quite delicious and extremely versatile there’s one element of the dish that holds most of us back from making it more often: the crust. And we all have our reasons. Maybe:
- You haven’t found that perfect pie-crust recipe yet.
- You’re still conquering your pie crust making fears (but it’s on your cooking bucket list)
- You’re asking yourself “Who has time to make a pie crust?”
- You don’t want to blow your diet and you’re trying to live a healthier lifestyle.
- You saw the list of ingredients in the store-bought varieties and were like “What the heck is in these things?”
But whatever your reason is you don’t need the crust to enjoy a delicious quiche. For this recipe, we skip the crust of the quiche, add some colorful veggies, cheese (because yes cheese) and we’re left with a quiche that will have you forgetting all about the crust. Feel free to mix up your choice of veggies for endless combinations.
Note: When using frozen broccoli in place of fresh, be sure it is completely thawed and all the water has been pressed out with a paper or dish towel. Too much excess water will make the quiche runny.
Get The Recipe!
This easy Crustless Veggie Quiche is the perfect thing to make when you want a delicious dish that's packed with veggie power. Plus, it has the same delicious flavors of a traditional quiche without having to fuss over a crust. Perfect for brunch, lunch, dinner or a midday snack, you can change up the veggies to accommodate what you have on hand.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup bell peppers, chopped (try mixing colors)
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups cheese, grated (try cheddar, munster or monterey jack)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9-inch pie dish. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the cheese on the bottom of the greased dish and set aside.
Over medium-low heat melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onions, peppers, and broccoli. Cook until the vegetables just begin to soften (3 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Once cool spoon the vegetables into the greased pie dish.
In a medium bowl whisk eggs with cream salt and pepper. Add the remaining cheese and give a good stir. Pour the egg mixture into the pie dish over the vegetables.
Place the filled pie dish on a baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the eggs have set. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Try using a medley of bell peppers in a variety of different colors. Choose from red, yellow, orange and green in any combination. Each of the peppers have their own flavor and a medley of colors will make your finished crustless quiche look absolutely gorgeous.
- You can substitute the heavy cream with half & half or milk if that's what you have on hand. The texture may be slightly less creamy but still delicious.
- For the meat eaters in your life add 1/2 cup of cooked diced ham, bacon or crumbled sausage to the egg mixture before baking.
- Experiment with different cheeses and veggie combinations to see which you like best.
- Try adding garlic and herbs for a flavor boost!