Better Living uses affiliate links. If you make a purchase through them, we may receive a small commission (for which we are deeply grateful) at no cost to you.
This is a wonderful and easy Easter egg craft! Eggs wrapped in 100% silk fabric and are boiled with water and vinegar to create a stunning and surprising egg effect. For this craft, use old ties and scarves that you won’t mind cutting up. This craft will only work if they’re 100% silk. If you don’t have any around the house, a quick trip to a thrift store should score you some great ties or scarves for very little money. And the great part is that the silk can be reused up to 3 times.
Please Note: Eggs used for this craft are not edible. Dyes used for the fabrics are most likely not food safe. Try using blown out eggs if you would like to preserve your designs and store safely to enjoy for years to come.
Materials & Supplies:
Raw Eggs or Blown Out Eggs (Try a mixture of white and brown)
Silk Ties or Scarves (must be 100% silk!)
White Fabric such as an old t-shirt or dish towel
Pipe Cleaners , Twist Ties or Rubber Bands
Scissors &/or Seam Ripper
Non Reactive Pot (stainless steel or enamel is best, not aluminum)
1. Cut ties &/or scarves into squares that will fit around your egg. If using ties, begin by opening the back of the tie with scissors or a seam ripper. Remove the lining and tags and throw away.
2. Wrap each egg with a piece of silk with the print side facing down toward the egg. Secure the top with a twist tie or rubber band.
3. Next wrap the silk wrapped egg in a piece of white fabric and once again secure.
4. Put all of the wrapped eggs in a non-reactive pot. Fill the pot with cold water to cover the eggs completely.
5. Add 3 tablespoons of white vinegar to the egg’s water. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Remove the eggs with tongs (or a spoon if that’s more handy) and set on a tray to cool.
7. One the eggs have cooled, unwrap the eggs and see how beautful they are!!!
8. Display the eggs in your favorite bowl or dish! If you would like to give them a little shine, try rubbing each egg with a little vegetable oil.